Saturday, October 26, 2013

First obstacles on the journey to android nirvana

If you are able to, develop on the real hardware! Trust me it will save you lots of pain.

I do have a phone but since it is my everyday phone I do not want to test my software while in early alpha state. Besides I'm doing this as a hobbist and not as a professional so my resources are limited and I do not have the money to buy me the devices to test different constellations.

Quit pro quo I have to use the emulator. (If you feel like supporting me feel free to donate or send a device my way ;) ) So I have to resort to the emulator.
I'm developing on a windows as well as on a linux machine. If you have the choice use the linux machine to develope on.  The emulator on windows seems to be very unreliable, at least in my setup. Sometimes it just hangs other times it needs hours, yes hours, to start up. Then from time to time it just starts up and works. Deleting the images doesn't always resolve the problem.

My strongest guess is that this has to do with the limited amount of memory I can allocate for the image running in the emulator on windows, - a meager 768Mb just doesn't cut it -, but this is just a wild guess.

On linux I have not experienced such sluggishness. It is slow but at least it works reliable. The atom emulation doesn't seem to resolve the problem either. - Installing the hardware acceleration from Intel didn't work so I cannot say anything about using it. - Same behaviour. It might be my hardware but a I7 with 4 physical cores and hyperthreading and 16GB should be enough to run an ARM emulator reliably.

So if you use the emulator be patient and bring lots of time with you. If you do not have the time then bring money to buy a device.

Yours truely
Stefan Langer

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment