Friday, October 25, 2013

A Mission to Android

Currently I'm very unhappy with my home screen on my android device, a Nexus 4. So I started looking around for new widgets to replace my current clock setup and information widget on the home screen. After searching the play store for proper replacements I just didn't quite find the one that gives me what I want and is not too cost intensive. 
So the natural response was to create my own. This would give me the perfect opportunity to update my rudimentary android experience and get a widget that is customized to my needs.

Creating the widget and blogging about it


After having started into the endeavor and having the first running prototypes on the emulator I got the idea to write about this mission and maybe just maybe somebody else can use this experience to gain some insight into android development and learn a thing or two. 
So here we are: Me writing about how I code this thing and You reading about it!

I hope to regularly blog about this mission and I hope you enjoy reading it and maybe you can give me some tips, criticism and feedback about my widget, the code and this blog.

So bare with me and I hope to see you again. 

Code and Licenses

As this mission evolves I'm going to push my code to github.com. You are welcome to grab the code, fork it, play with it and send me back pull requests. 
If I succeed I might actually publish the resulting widget to the play store. Until then you are on your own to install the widget on your own device. I take no responsibility for any damage or problems the code might cause. 
All graphics are published under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. The code is published under a Apache License, Version 2.0.

Resources

E34Clock on Github

The code is licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0

All image work is additionally licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.


Yours truely

Stefan Langer

Creative Commons License

No comments:

Post a Comment